Thursday 3 March 2016

Getting into Module 2

As I said in previous blogs, I am interested in the importance of teaching creativity through the Arts to Early Years and what affect this will have on them in their learning throughout school.  I can start by using my own example.

When studying in Secondary School, I decided to take up Higher Dance as one of my subjects (Highers are the equivalent of an A Level)  I also did History.  Looking back, I could sit in History lesson and not take one thing in. Not one thing.  Like I could leave the classroom and not have a clue what just happened.  I sat at a table and stared at a screen with writing on it for an hour.  When it came to Higher Dance, I was wholly involved in my learning.  It was physical as I used my body, but mental as I was taking in every correction and learning point I was given.  I received an A in both Dance and History.  Could I tell you anything about what I learnt in that History lesson. Nothing.  Could I hear a piece of music and remember every step I did in my Higher Dance lessons? YES! I experienced creative learning, and five years later I can still remember what I learnt!

This week, I was asked into nursery schools to deliver dance sessions.  What surprised me the most was that this was such a novelty for the kids and the teachers and they were just so grateful for me being there.  Should it not be the case that they are getting a Dance class every week?

I read some great articles today and one from 'Unlocking creativity' by Robert Fisher said:

'Promoting creative thinking is a powerful way of engaging children with their learning.'

Even in my short 45 minute session I feel that the kids had actually come away with something they had learnt.  For some this is even just learning how to stand in a circle.

It amazes me that there is not more dance,drama,music in Early Years Education.  Our local theatre has just been faced with a 17% cut to funding meaning that they may not be able to provide the Higher Dance and Drama courses anymore.  This brings me to another quote I read from Fishers article:

'Employers want people who are adaptable, innovative, can solve problems and communicate with others.'

I would love everyone to realise how important it is for these young children to learn creatively through Dance, Drama and Music.

2 comments:

  1. Sophie a god start that is related to your practice - how are you getting on? Have you been able to see some of the other blogs BAPP Arts finalists? I need to put these up again - but look up blog address on my blog and they will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula will add them. I am finding some good reading but still trying to pin point what exactly I am trying to find out about.

    ReplyDelete