Tuesday 17 November 2015

Affiliation and my Professional Network

I looked a bit more into Affiliation today and was not surprised when I read the extract from Crisp, J and Turner stating that Affiliation is an 'inherited trait'.  It also said that 'some people are more inclined than others to seek out affiliation.'  I can relate this back to myself.  For example, my partner works for a building company where he has little need to expand his professional network to improve his job.  On the other side of the scale is myself.  I need a support network of other professionals to help me grow as a professional.  Most of the jobs I am getting is through good word of an employee or someone seeing what I am up to on social media.  This provides my income and therefore helps me survive.  When I think of affiliating and networking as a survival mechanism it makes me determined to spend more time on expanding my network.

So, I wanted to try and expand by Professional Network by reaching out to the rest of you on the course.  I have recently been offered three classes at the Theatre in my town.  One for 6-18months, one for 18m-3years and one for 3-5years.  This is exciting, but I also want to go in as best prepared as I can.  If anyone has had any experience with these age groups, I'd love to swap ideas on class layout, games, rhymes and themes that you may have, even if it was something that didn't work out.  As I pointed out in my last blog there is something to learn from everyones experiences!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sophie, although I teach older students now I used to teach these age groups, and whilst they are so fun, they can be quite challenging because of the age.
    I found with the baby and toddler classes, the most important thing is to keep them engaged as their attention span is quite short, so keep things quite snappy. Repeat things for serval classes so the students get used to the same layout and begin to remember things better.
    Word and action associated songs are fab as they join in quickly and helps link their co ordination skills. Try a bear hunt and also the kids song star tracking! In my experience they live these songs. Also providing props and instruments are really helpful too.
    If you need any more help feel free to message me.
    Ami

    ReplyDelete