Wednesday 11 November 2015

My Current Professional Network

I have just read Reader 3 and also just had a great chat with Paula on Skype.

The concept of 'The Networked Professional' makes perfect sense to me as it is something I have thought about since my final year in college.  Before I graduated, I sent my CV to numerous kids clubs around my area (both dance and non dance) so that I could network with professionals in my area and asses the need for Dance and Gymnastics classes.  This benefitted me hugely as I have now managed to build strong working relationships with them and means I am often offered work as an outside Dance Teacher to come in and teach.  I know that I eventually want to open my own classes and a number of working professionals in my area have said they will support me with this.

A great quote that came to mind when I was talking to Paula about this was:

'Every man I meet is my superior in some way.  In that, I learn of him.'

I got this from the book 'How to make friends and Influence People.' by Dale Carnegie.  I read this before I graduated and have always kept it in my mind.  Every has different experiences in life and it is good to try and learn something off everybody.

Carnegie also has a chapter dedicated to 'Cooperation' and how to get it.  He uses the example of an Artist who struggles to sell his paintings to a leading stylist in New York.  Once a week, for three years he would go and visit the stylist and every time his paintings were rejected.  The artist then took on a new approach and went to the stylist and said 'Here are some uncompleted sketches.  Won't you please tell me how we could finish them up in such a way that you could use them?'  In the end, the stylist gave suggestions and the artist finished them up accordingly.  All paintings were bought from then on.

This example made me understand cooperation and its importance.  We need to be able to take on other peoples ideas and combine them with our own.  I can relate this back to myself to when I was offered to take my own classes for a company.  I had the knowledge and they had the target audience and trusted name. We worked together and made a successful class reach out to many young children in my area.  They had something I needed and I had something they needed.  It just worked.

I would really recommend reading Carnegies book as some of the quotes still ring in my head now in my Professional Practice.

As I get more experienced in networking I find that I really enjoy it now.  If I see someone at an event that I know works in the same area as me, I make a point of going up and introducing myself.  I'm not trying to be nosey or intimidating, I just think it is important to be aware of Professionals around you and I am genuinely interested in this line of work so it's great to share ideas.

I have recently been offered a dance class for 18 months - 2 year olds. I found this quite daunting, however, once I had reached out to my network who had experience in this area I felt inspired and interested to learn more.

 I feel in a good place with my current network, but am always looking for ways to build it.  How does everyone else feel about their professional network and how do you go about building it? Would love to hear thoughts.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sophie,
    I found when you said 'I don't want to be nosey or intimidating' really interesting. Our industry is so harsh sometimes that people always assume you have an ulterior motive to why you approach someone. I find genuine interest is often misread as nosiness or they think you want something from them. Its saddening, but it links back to Axelrods (1984) theory of cooperation that people almost use people who benefit them discarding them afterwards. I cannot agree with this myself as, like you, I like to be aware of other professionals without strategically wanting to benefit from them.
    What do you think about his theory of cooperation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely Ami, Axelrod said that we co-operate to reach maximum benefit from someone then we defect, which I can't say I agree with. I live in a small city and therefore get real excitement when I meet someone else from the arts industry because it is hard for non-arts people to understand the training we have been through. I am not wanting to benefit from them I simply want to keep in touch with other professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely Ami, Axelrod said that we co-operate to reach maximum benefit from someone then we defect, which I can't say I agree with. I live in a small city and therefore get real excitement when I meet someone else from the arts industry because it is hard for non-arts people to understand the training we have been through. I am not wanting to benefit from them I simply want to keep in touch with other professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sophie,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog as I agree with allot of your views and opinions regarding Reader 3.

    Throughout 1st and 2nd year of college I had very little knowledge of Professional Networking within the industry. As soon as 3rd year began I realised how vital networking was with regards to auditions, castings and agent interest. I strongly agree that Professional Networking made so much more sense throughout my 3rd year. What method within reader 3 did you find useful throughout 3rd year?

    I was intrigued when I read, 'As I get more experienced in networking I find that I really enjoy it now', and definitely agree that networking is a very daunting and in some cases nerve wracking experience at first. I also believe that the more we get use to networking the more confident, independent and open we become.

    What are your thoughts of Axelrod's method to 'defect' after gaining the knowledge that you require?

    With regards to my Professional Network, from going to a wide range of classes, auditions and workshops I have built new connections and social circles, therefore making it easier to hear about job opportunities and castings. I have also enjoyed interacting with professionals throughout jobs/contracts as I've gained so much new information from hearing about their experiences and advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand where Axelrod is coming from as I would never intentionally 'drop' someone form my network, however, as we discussed in the last Skype session I was involved in, once we have built a network with someone and got what we need, it is sometimes hard to keep in touch with this network as you no longer have a common ground to connect through. Is a Facebook comment really enough to say they are still in your network?
      My thought is, where do networks stop being networks? For example, do we expand our network to people like accountants and hairdressers so that we can get help with our books or cheaper haircuts for auditions. I think your Professional network is constantly expanding even when your not around other performers

      Delete
    2. I understand where Axelrod is coming from as I would never intentionally 'drop' someone form my network, however, as we discussed in the last Skype session I was involved in, once we have built a network with someone and got what we need, it is sometimes hard to keep in touch with this network as you no longer have a common ground to connect through. Is a Facebook comment really enough to say they are still in your network?
      My thought is, where do networks stop being networks? For example, do we expand our network to people like accountants and hairdressers so that we can get help with our books or cheaper haircuts for auditions. I think your Professional network is constantly expanding even when your not around other performers

      Delete