Wednesday 26 October 2016

Fostering Pre School Childrens social development - Why I will be adding songs to my classes

One of my inquiry questions asks how I can foster social and creative development in my classes.  I found this study through the Starcatchers blog which has encouraged me to include songs and singing in my dance classes.

The full article can be found here.

Over a month, 39 babies attended 12, 15 minute sessions in a lab with their parents. In groups of 2/3 babies sat with their parents. 20 children were assigned to the 'music group' where childrens tunes were played while they tapped out a waltz rhythm.  19 babies attended a session without music.

Both groups experienced active involvement and included body movements.  The key difference was whether the babies were moving to learn a musical rhythm.

After a week, the babies were placed in a brain scanner and the rhythms were played to them with disruptions in the music.

Results:  The babies in the music group has stronger brain responses to the disruption of the music and speech.

“Schools across our nation are decreasing music experiences for our children, saying they are too expensive,” Kuhl says. “This research reminds us that the effects of engaging in music go beyond music itself. Music experience has the potential to boost broader cognitive skills that enhance children’s abilities to detect, expect and react quickly to patterns in the world, which is highly relevant in today’s complex world.”

This study has encouraged me to use songs and rhythm exercises in my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment