Thursday 6 October 2016

Laban Movement Theory

Whilst reading for my inquiry I came across this theory from 'Developmental Movement for Children' by Veronica Sherborne and found it may be useful to teachers and in particular will help me with my inquiry question 'How can I foster social and creative skills in my classes.'

Laban characterized movement into four parts

  • Direction 
  • Weight
  • Speed
  • Flow
With Direction, Laban describes 6 movements:
  • High/Low
  • Side to Side
  • Backwards/Forwards
As a teacher, you can encourage children to move in ways that are normally neglected and thus enrich their awareness of the space.  I am going to try this in my classes and note down in my journal how the children react.  I already include a lot of High and Low movement in my classes so it will be interesting to see how the children react to more side to side movements and backwards movement and if I will see an improvement in these directions over the term.

The book states:

'If children have not developed awareness of their bodies, movement into space becomes meaningless and empty.  With the development of some body awareness, the spatial directions begin to have greater significance.'

Movement Qualities

There are eight movement qualities:
  1. Strong
  2. Light
  3. Bound Flow
  4. Free Flow
  5. Direct
  6. Flexible 
  7. Fast 
  8. Slow
When teaching or observing young children, 'we are mainly aware of one or perhaps two of these qualities.  It is rare to see as many as four at once.' 

As an Early Years teacher, this will help me with my classes as I can look for qualities that the children are less familiar with and try and try and develop these qualities with them. It will be hard at first but with the help of my journal I think this will help me to become a better teacher.








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Sophie - interesting to see this theory with your inquiry. See you soon - there is a session for M3 coming up - see my blog

    ReplyDelete